Study in UK

UK visa requirements and general immigration criteria are managed by UK Visas and Immigration, which has an easy-to-navigate site to help you determine whether you need a UK student visa. While Swiss nationals and those from the EU/EEA states do not currently need a visa to study in the UK, all other international students are likely to need one.

The result of the UK’s referendum on membership in the European Union (‘Brexit’) has led to some uncertainty over visa regulations, but the UK government has stated that there will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens until 2021.

Types Of UK Student Visa

If you’re studying a short course and are over 18 years old, you may be eligible for the short-term study visa. This is valid up to six months for most short courses and can be extended for a stay of up to 11 months for English language courses.

If you’re studying a longer course, you’ll need to make sure your chosen institution holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License. You can either apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa (if you’re aged 4-17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK) or a Tier 4 (General) student visa for those aged 16 and over.

UK Student Visa Requirements

Your course provider may be willing to help you to apply for a UK student visa once you have been offered a place on a course; ask to find out if this is the case. You can apply for the visa up to three months in advance of the start date of your course. Check the average visa processing times for your country, and be sure to allow plenty of time.

UK student visas are awarded on a points-based system. In order to meet all the UK student visa requirements, you’ll need to provide:

  • Details of your passport
  • A recent photograph
  • An unconditional offer of a place on a course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor, evidenced by a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) form from your course provider (worth 30 points)
  • Proof of adequate English language skills, demonstrated by passing one of the secure English language tests (SELT). You will not need to provide this if you’re from an English-speaking country such as the United States or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in an English-speaking country.
  • Proof you have financial support throughout your stay in the UK (worth 10 points)
  • If you’re a non-EU/EEA/Swiss student studying a sensitive subject, you may also need an ATAS certificate

Proof of financial support can take the form of bank statements or a letter from your financial sponsor, showing you can cover your tuition fees, accommodation and living costs. You must prove that you have £1,015 (~US$1,300) per month for living costs if studying in the UK outside of London, and £1,265 (~US$1,600) a month for living costs if studying in London.

You may also be required to produce documents showing your academic qualifications, and to attend an interview or biometric test, which includes a digital scan of your fingerprints. Depending on your country of origin, you may also be required to have certain medical vaccinations or undertake a tuberculosis test.

If you’re 16 or 17 years old and applying for the Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must have written consent from your parents/guardians that you can live and travel independently.

You must apply online for the Tier 4 (General) Student visa, ensuring you’ve read the full guidance here. You can apply up to three months before the start of your course.

UK Student Visa Fees

The current fee for the Tier 4 (General) student visa is £348 (~US$440), with an additional £348 fee per person for any dependents. You’ll also need to pay a healthcare surcharge of £150 per year (~US$190) in order to access the National Health Service (NHS) during your stay (this will rise to £300 (~US$380) from late 2018).
The Short Term Study Visa costs £97 (~US$120) for the six month option and £186 (~US$240) for the 11 month visa.

Working While Studying In The UK

All EU, EEA and Swiss students can work while studying in the UK. Students of publicly funded higher education institutions on Tier 4 student visas can work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during Christmas and Easter breaks (unless you are aged 16 or 17, in which case the maximum is 10 hours per week during term time).

Using Your UK Student Visa

When you enter the UK, a UK Border Agency officer will put a stamp on your passport that states the duration of your stay in the UK. For example, if your course is 12 months or more, you can stay for the full duration of the course plus an additional four months. You cannot extend your stay beyond this period.
Before you arrive, you must make sure you are fully immunized, remembering to pack your immunization record in your hand luggage in case you are asked to show the Border Agency officer at your UK port of entry. You should also carry the documents relating to your studies (including your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS number), your proof of finances and your proof of accommodation.
Depending on where you’re from, you may also be required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK.

uk study visa
Streamlined Visa Processes For Master’s Students At 27 Universities

You can now apply for streamlined visa processing to study a master’s degree at one of the 27 eligible universities (listed here), as part of a new Tier 4 Pilot scheme. Your course will need to be 13 months or less and you can apply from inside or outside the UK. The pilot scheme allows you to stay longer after the end of your course (you can stay for six months after you’ve finished your studies) and also means that you won’t need to submit documents showing your academic results or proof of funds. However, you will still need to have these documents to hand in case they are needed, and will still need to follow all the other immigration guidelines.

City Universities and Colleges Logo
London Birkbeck University of London
Cats College
Goldsmiths University of London
Institute of Education,University of London
London South Bank University
Royal Holloway University of London
Royal Veterinary College, University of London
The Courtauld Institute of Art
Preston University of Central Lancashire
Hull University of Hull
Reading University of Reading
Sunderland University of Sunderland
London Queen Mary University
London Royal Holloway University of London
Staffordshire Staffordshire University
London City University of London
Glasgow Glasgow CaledonianUniversity
London INTO London Multipal Universities
London INTO London World Education Center
Manchester INTO Manchester Multipal Universities
Norwich INTO Newton A-Level
Manchester Manchester Metropolitan University(MMU)
Newcastle Newcastle University
Belfast Queen’s University Belfast
London St George’s,University of London
Norwich University of East Anglia
Cornwall University of Exeter
Exeter  University of Exeter
Cheltenham University of  Gloucestershire
Manchester University of Manchester
London University of Newcastle London Campus
Scotland Edinbrough University of Sterling
Stirling University of Stirling
Surrey University of Surrey
Bournemouth Bournmouth University International College
Cranfield University
Glasgow Glasgow International College
London Kaplan Internatioal College
Kaplan Pathways
Nottingham Nottingham Trent International College
Birmingham The university of Birmingham
Brighton University of Brighton International College
London University of Liverpool London
Nottingham University of Nottingham International College
University Of West of England International College
Bristol University of West England (UWE-Bristol)
London University of Westminster
York University of York International Pathway College
Liverpool Liverpool International College Image result for Liverpool International College logo"
London University of Essex International College Image result for University of Essex International College logo"
London Bangor University Image result for Bangor University logo"
The University of Dundee Image result for The University of Dundee logo"
London University of Greenwich International College Image result for University of Greenwich International Colleg logo"
London Metropolitan University Image result for London Metropolitan University logo"
London,Newcastle Northumbria University Image result for Northumbria University logo"
Southampton Solent University Image result for Solent Universitylogo"
London Birmingham Manchester University of Middlesex Image result for University of Middlesex logo"
London,Birmingham Manchester University of Roehamton Image result for University of Roehamton logo"
London Birmingham University of Ulster Image result for University of Ulster logo"
Cambridge London Manchester Abbey Old Group of Colleges Image result for Abbey Old Group of Colleges logo"
Birmingham Birmingham City University Image result for Birmingham City University logo"
London-Birmingham BPP University Image result for bpp university logo"
Bradford Bradford College University Center Image result for Bradford College University Center logo"
Leicestershire Brooke House College Image result for Brooke House College logo"
Coventry-London Coventry University Image result for Coventry University logo"
Leicester De Montfort university Image result for De Montfort university logo"
London ICS International Community School Image result for ICS International Community School logo"
Manchester International Business School Manchester Image result for International Business School Manchester logo"
London London School of Commerce Image result for london school of commercelogo"
United Kingdom London,Wiltshire
Newcastle Newcastle University Center Image result for Newcastle University Center logo"
Stonar School
Birmingham The University of Law Image result for university of law logo"
London UKEDA School Image result for UKEDA School logo"
Belfast Ulster University Image result for Ulster Universitylogo"
University of Bedfordshire Image result for University of Bedfordshire logo"
Bolton University of Bolton Image result for University of Bolton logo"
Chester-Warrington University of Chester Image result for n University of Chesterlogo"
Derbyshire University of Derby Image result for University of Derby logo"
Huddersfield University of Huddersfield Image result for University of Huddersfield logo"
University of Middlesex Image result for University of Middlesex logo"
London University of creative Arts Image result for University of creative Arts logo"
London-Belfast-Birmingham University of Ulster Image result for Ulster Universitylogo"
London-Glasgow University of West of Scotland Image result for University of West of Scotland logo"
Birmingham Windsor Education Image result for Windsor Education logo"
Wellington Birmingham Wrekin College
London Bellerbys College Image result for Bellerbys College logo"
Durham Durham University Image result for Durham University logo"
London Istituto Marangoni Image result for Istituto Marangoni logo"
London Kingston University,London Image result for Kingston University,London logo"
Leeds Leeds Beckett University Image result for Leeds Beckett University logo"
Liverpool Liverpool John Moores University Image result for Liverpool John Moores University logo"
Surrey Royal Holloway University of London Image result for Royal Holloway University of London logo"
Aberdeen University of Aberdeen ISC Image result for University of Aberdeen ISC logo"
Leeds University of Leeds Image result for University of Leeds logo"
Brighton University of Sussex Image result for University of Sussex logo"
Newcastle-under-Lyme Keele University Image result for Keele University logo"
Lancaster Lancaster University Image result for Lancaster University logo"
Liverpool Liverpool John Moores University Image result for Liverpool John Moores University logo"
Sheffield The University of Sheffield Image result for The University of Sheffield logo"
Leicester University of Leicester
Lincoln University of Lincoln Image result for University of Lincoln logo"
London University of Surrey Image result for University of Surrey logo"