Temporary Graduate Subclass 485
The Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa is a work visa for international students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. This visa allows migrant students who have completed at least 2 years of study in Australia to live and work in the country for between 18 months and 4 years. It is a good way to extend your stay in Australia to improve your chances of becoming eligible for a permanent or provisional skilled visa.
There are two streams for the Subclass 485 visa:
Post-study work Stream This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily. Specially those international students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher at an Australian higher education institution to remain in Australia for up to 4 years. Applicants for this stream do not need to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). Here if we talk about Length of stay Subclass 485 visas granted under the Post-study work stream are valid for between 18 months and 4 years, depending on the applicant’s qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or taught master’s degree – 2 years
- Research based master’s degree – 3 years
- PhD – 4 years.
Graduate work Visa This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations in Australia needs. It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily. It is for students who have completed at least 2 years of study in Australia, and who nominate an occupation on the Australian Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The study done by the candidate must be closely related to the nominated occupation. If we talk about Length of Stay Subclass 485 visas granted under the Graduate work stream are valid for 18 months.
2 year study requirement
In order to meet the requirements for this visa applicants must have a qualification in Australia over the course of 2 years or more. The full requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must have received a recognised diploma, trade qualification or degree (such as a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD) from an Australian educational institution.
- The course studied must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
- The qualification must have been received within the 6 months leading up to the application
- The course must have taken at least 92 weeks of of study time, and must have taken place over at least 16 months
- The course must have been taught in English
- The student must have had a valid Australian student visa for the duration of their studies.
The Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa is not points-tested.
The primary applicant must be in Australia when they make their application for a 485 visa, and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to lodgement.
You can include the following family members in your visa application:
- your partner
- your or your partner’s dependent child
- your or your partner’s dependent relative.
This visa allows you and your dependants to:
- temporarily live and work in Australia
- study in Australia
- travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
Longer visas for regional studies
Immigration has announced that from 16 November 2019, international students who complete their studies at regional universities will be eligible for longer 485 visas. The additional time will depend on where the studies were undertaken.
- 1 year:Study completed in Regional cities and major regional centres
- 2 years:Study completed in Regional centres and other regional areas
Whilst on a 485 visa, you have unrestricted work rights in Australia. You must also maintain private health insurance for the entire period whilst on a skilled graduate visa.