Australian Skilled Immigration
Australia is an incredibly popular destination for skilled migrants, with over 128,500 places available in 2015-2016 under the country’s General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) program. Under the Skill-select program skilled worker applicants can gain a permanent Australia visa; using their qualifications, work experience and language ability to meet the Australian immigration requirements.
The General Skilled Migration (Skill-select) program replaced all other Australian skilled worker visas in 2012-2013. The system has 5 visa sub-classes, and is points based; applicants must meet at least 60 points from the General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) points tables to be considered.
Australia Skilled Immigration Basic Requirements
There are a number of basic requirements that applicants must meet in order to be considered for the GSM program. While this is not a comprehensive list of all eligibility criteria, it does give a good idea of the minimum standards applicants must meet:
- Age – you must be under 50 years of age when you apply.
- English language – you should have sufficient ability in the English language to work in Australia (at least at competent level). This is measured through the International English Language Testing System
- Qualifications – you must have your skills and qualifications assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation.
- Skills assessment – before you apply, you must have your skills assessed by the Australian assessing authority designated to assess your nominated occupation.
- Health assessment – you must undergo a medical assessment, and show that you are in reasonably good health.
- Character assessment – you must be of good character, usually this means a criminal record check.If you are unable to meet these basic requirements, then you should NOT continue with a General Skilled Migration application.
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- access certain social security payments
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor family members for permanent residence.
Further Information, Help, And Advice
Asif Consulting has over twenty years of experience helping people immigrate to countries all over the World. If you feel that you can pass the points test and wish to immigrate to Australia, fill out our free contact us form and one of our representatives will contact you shortly.
For more information and advice on Australian immigration law and Australian visa applications please contact us on 0333 8888470 or at email@example.com