Methods of Sponsoring your family for Canadian immigration


The Canadian government has authorized many family sponsorship programs for parents, grandparents, spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, and children.

Within Canada, the Family class immigration program is the second largest immigration program and will be accepting the most immigrants under the Immigration Level Plan after the economic class. Canada had originally planned to welcome 105,000 newcomers under the family class in 2022 out of which 25,000 would be from the (PGP) Parents and Grandparents Program while the remaining 80,000 would have been from Spouses, Partners, and Children.

Am I eligible to sponsor my family?

For a person to be considered eligible to sponsor their family you must provide proof of the following aspects to the IRCC:

  • a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada

  • 18 years of age or older

  • able to support the sponsored person for several years

Which family members can I sponsor?

  • Spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners

  • children

  • parents

  • grandparents

Also pls note that Canadians can only sponsor family members like brothers, sisters, aunts, or uncles under very specific circumstances.

The process needed to sponsor my spouse or partner?

If you wish to sponsor your spouse then both of you can either apply as an inland applicant or an outland applicant. If you are applying as an Inland applicant then you must go through the sponsorship process in Canada, while outland applicants live outside the country. Keep in mind that only Canadian citizens are allowed to live with their foreign spouses outside of Canada throughout the sponsorship process however if a permanent resident takes the outland option then he/she must remain in Canada and their spouse outside of Canada while the application is being processed.

To start the application process you will be required to provide the following two applications at the same time:

  • Your application to sponsor your spouse or partner

  • Your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application

However, if you are applying as an inland applicant, then you may be required to submit an additional application for a (SOWP) Spousal Open Work Permit along alongside your other application.

Sponsoring children for Canadian immigration?

For a parent to sponsor their child for Canadian immigration they must first prove that they are eligible and capable of doing so. For this purpose, they must fulfill the following requirements.

  • You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

  • You must at the very least be 18 years of age

  • You must prove that you can financially provide for your basic needs along with those of your child.

At the same time, the child must also fulfill certain requirements to be eligible for the sponsorship. These requirements include the following:

  • The child must be the sponsor’s legal or biological child,

  • The child must not be married,

  • The child must be under the age of 22.

Also, children can still be sponsored above the age of 22 if they have a mental or physical condition that prevents them from being able to support themselves and has made them reliant on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.

How do I sponsor my parent or grandparent?

Canada specifically has a program under the jurisdiction of (PGP) that allows family members to sponsor their Parents and grandparents.

For one to be eligible as a sponsor in this program they must fulfill the following requirements:

  • The sponsor must be above 18 years of age.

  • The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident during the entire processing duration of the sponsorship.

  • The sponsor must provide proof of income that shows that necessary (MNI) Minimum Necessary Income needed to be a sponsor.

Please note that you cannot use the PGP to sponsor your parents or grandparents for immigration if you are not a permanent resident or if your (PR) application is at the time in process. Also, keep in mind that the process including the MNI required to sponsor parents and grandparents is regularly changing, and the IRCC posts the instructions for applications on an annual basis.

Methods of Sponsoring your family for Canadian immigration

How can we help you?

We as Immigration Consultants are always here to guide our worthy clients regarding their Immigration and travel queries. We as Canadian immigration consultants will update you with the latest rules and regulations. So stay connected with us.

 Our expert Immigration consultants will help you out with Consultancy services, Global citizenship, Business Immigration, Skilled Immigration, Study visa, Visit visas; Scholarships. Stay in touch with us to get the latest updates about the immigration process.

Contact us at 051-8314775 or +923338888470 for better consultation.

Leave a Reply